Welcome

I write this blog about ecotourism because I have a big interest in this topic and I do think it can make a difference. I want to share what I find/think interesting about it.
This blog is yours, please feel free to add any comment/suggestion/feedback or email me at guillaume.foutry (at) gmail.com

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fighting Climate Change is not for Machos!

I wrote a post last week about the 350.org manifestations all around the world "On 24 October, people in 181 countries came together for the most widespread day of environment, organizing over 5200 events around the world." I was really happy to write a post about it as I found the initiative very thrilling. But today I am disappointed by the following video.


The first time I watched it it put a smile on my face, but then I thought: "Wait a minute mate, you are the first one to criticize car companies when they use beautiful women to sell cars, and this is exactly the same!" And then other things came up:
  1. Half of the world population is made of women and this video is targeted to men only.
  2. Male values are the ones responsible of the climate change problem, greed being the main one. All developing studies shows that if you want to bring development to a country, you need to empower women, so the same logic could apply to environmental issues.
  3. There is something quite sad that we have to use women wearing underwear to raise awareness about such a big issue.
  4. This sexist video is a disgrace to all the women that have contributed to the event (which is even worse as you may have more women involved in NGOs than men).
So to the people that created this video, next time you want to create something that has to reach as many people as possible, do not forget half of your target!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]