Welcome

I write this blog about ecotourism because I have a big interest in this topic and I do think it can make a difference. I want to share what I find/think interesting about it.
This blog is yours, please feel free to add any comment/suggestion/feedback or email me at guillaume.foutry (at) gmail.com

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Green Credibility is like Credibility:Easy to Lose

SAN FRANCISCO - SEPTEMBER 29:  A traveler walk...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

I recently read that Responsible Travel, an authoritative green travelling website, changed its minds on carbon offset and decided not to offer it as product any more and condemn the use of it. As it is quite controversial to offset flights, I can understand their new position. The only thing that worries me is to what extent it can dent the credibility of green advocates.

I mean if you have been defending and offering something for seven years and suddenly you change your mind, how people are going to take it next time you suggest something?I am not saying it is wrong, it just appears to me that as really no one has an idea on how to efficiently tackle climate change, we should be more cautious on what we put forward. I just fear that if something like this happen again, nobody would not listen any more. And you can feel this if you look at the tweets about it.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]