Welcome

I write this blog about ecotourism because I have a big interest in this topic and I do think it can make a difference. I want to share what I find/think interesting about it.
This blog is yours, please feel free to add any comment/suggestion/feedback or email me at guillaume.foutry (at) gmail.com

Monday, June 28, 2010

Crazy Plan: Selling Alaska Water to Middle East Countries

Picture Source: U.S. National Oceanic & Atmosp...Image via Wikipedia

Yes, this is not a mistake, this is a real project implemented by a US company, S2C Global Sytems. They want to sell the water from the Blue Lake reservoir located near Sitka, a small town in Southeastern Alaska. And they plan to sell a large quantity of water: 9.5 billion gallons a year or 8% of the total volume of the reservoir.

They affirm it will not endanger the ecosystem of the lake as it is provided with fresh water from glaciers. But still, I feel they are like wizard trying something new without measuring all the consequences of it. And what to say about all the pollution generated to condition the water for shipping and then transport it to the Middle East?



I know that some countries are in dire situation regarding water, but the first thing to do should be to have a better water distribution system and reduce water consumption, not resorting to what appears to be the easiest solution that will inevitably create new problems.


Enhanced by Zemanta